Roofers replace, repair, and install the roofs of buildings, using a variety of materials, including shingles, bitumen, and metal.
At Ohio Roofer training centers, apprentices typically learn to:
- Inspect problem roofs to determine the best way to repair them
- Measure roofs to calculate the quantities of materials needed
- Replace damaged or rotting joists or plywood
- Install vapor barriers or layers of insulation
- Install ventilation systems
- Install shingles, asphalt, metal, or other materials to make the roof weatherproof
- Align roofing materials with edges of the roof
- Cut roofing materials to fit around walls or vents, and
- Cover exposed nail or screw heads with roofing cement or caulk to prevent leakage.